7-24 September 2017
We are excited to be holding three, 6 day retreats on Eilean Shona in September 2017. Eilean Shona is a stunning private island off the West Coast of Scotland with no cars, a small community and in the midst of breathtakingly beautiful wilderness. The perfect place to retreat and re-charge batteries, learn new skills or practice old ones, spend time alone or with new friends.
Courses, led by experienced teachers, will focus on exploring creativity in this unique island setting - cut off from the world and all its stresses, immersed in nature and surrounded by wildlife.
This year we are running three retreats focusing on painting, writing and mindfulness. Retreats are aimed at both the beginner and those with more experience.
What can you expect from a shona retreat?
- a mix of group sessions focused on learning, sharing and reflecting and 'alone' time for personal work
- small groups with no more than 12 participants
- retreat leaders who are experienced and passionate in their subject area
- guided hikes around the island as well as the opportunity to explore on your own
- access to stunning landscape, unspoilt nature, wilderness and an abundance of wildlife
- yoga and meditation sessions, plus wild swimming, boat trips and the opportunity to paddle board or kayak
- a safe and nurturing environment with supportive leaders and like-minded participants
- no television and semi-digital detox - mobile signals are weak but not necessarily non-existent - Eilean Shona house has wi-fi in the main communal rooms
- beautiful, comfortable accommodation with a mix of en suite rooms and shared bathrooms, a billiard room, piano and library
- delicious home cooked nourishing vegetarian food, plus optional locally sourced seafood and venison
Accommodation and Eilean Shona
Eilean Shona is a beautiful private island on the West Coast of Scotland, tucked into Loch Moidart, with views of Rhum, Eigg and Muck and the mighty Atlantic Ocean. It is a wildlife haven, with ancient forests, craggy caves and dramatic mountains. Hidden cottages and ruined bothies nestle in unique settings around the island. The retreats are held in beautiful Eilean Shona House, built in the 1800's, and comfortably furnished with four poster beds, large cast iron baths, a long mahogany dining table and an amazing contemporary art collection. There is a mix of double and twin bedrooms, some with en suite and others with shared bathrooms.
Food and drink
Food on Eilean Shona reflects the surrounding environment and the island’s commitment to health and sustainability. It is essentially vegetarian with the optional addition of seafood and venison. As much as possible is locally grown and organic and particular dietary requirements can be catered for. There will be a bar serving wine, beer, gin and vodka tonics.